How People Learn Chapters 1-3

February 8th, 2010 by Kasey Powers Leave a reply »

For the first three chapters these are a few points that stood out for me.

Children and adults are alike in the classroom in that everyone brings their own set of preexisting understandings.  Page 16 gives an example where a college student reverted to untrained conceptions despite having learned the relevant physics.  In a college classroom, with often large class sizes, how do you go about finding the preexisting conceptions that students have and addressing these?

Looking at teaching / learning methods at tools, there are many to choose from.  Even more now with technology based tools.  So how do you know what to use when?  I wonder if the possibly overwhelming number of choices and the lack of teacher support is one reason that teachers continue to teach the way they always have, rather than adapt with new methods.

On experts and novices, I know a little about a lot of things.  I find the tidbits interesting, but wouldn’t necessarily want to dive deeper into the topic.  Choice of topic and how an expert learns and studies new information is different.  How do teachers teach all of the information that needs to be covered in a class and allow for the cross from novice to expert in understanding?

Transfer of knowledge from one area to another is a topic I am interested in.  What are some techniques you have used to help students use preexisting or already learned knowledge to transfer to new material?

Need help with the Commons? Visit our
help page
Send us a message